The 10-year-old boy ate abanana that his mother bought at a Walmart store in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and was taken to the emergency room because of the heat and general weakness, according to The World Nature, citing CNN.
After the examination, the child's blood tests tested positive for the HIV virus.
The boy's mother was in shock, but it turned out that a 10-year-old child was not the first to enter the hospital with such an unusual infection of blood.
8 children under the age of 17 were also hospitalized with a diagnosis of HIV.
Parents presented a list of products that the children were fed, as well as a list of places they visited during the month. It turned out that all 8 children ate bananas from the supermarket.
The bananas tested in the laboratory gave positive results for HIV.
Scientists are still trying to understand how a virus could get into bananas and infect children through the stomach.